The story is told from the point of a man whose memory has begun to wane with his old age. One of his doctors tells him that he should begin writing things down in order to help him remember. He chooses to start his story with the time he was working in the Huxley household as a servant. He is acquainted with the young man of the house, Adrian Huxley, who seems to be a brilliant artist. Adrian is at constant odds with his father and the narrator finds him one night in front of the house. The two discuss Adrian’s mother’s impending death and how he is always fighting with his father. This ends with a suicide threat from Adrian which the narrator no more than waves off. This strikes Adrian and he begins talking about a memory of him and his mother. He asks her how big a person can be and she eventually answers him “as big as light.” The narrator and Adrian share this moment then return to their respective rooms. The mother dies soon after.
I really liked the point of view you told the story from. While the narrator seemed earnest, some of the details were fuzzy, not because he was dishonest but because he couldn’t really remember them with 100% certainty. I found it to be very unique. I also thought the opening lines about aging were really well constructed.
That being said, I wasn’t sure of the real arc here. I assume the change comes from the talk Adrian and Dean were having. I’m guessing Dean changes Adrian with his response toward Adrian’s suicide threat? I wasn’t too sure, but that may just be me.
No comments:
Post a Comment