Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Response to Kody's "Whatever Gods May Be"

The story follows Thomas Abrams as he becomes the preacher (or pastor) of  Pinewood Christian Church. He is a bit nervous at first but he falls into the routine eventually. Later on, he and his wife start to expect a child and this causes Thomas to launch into a study of the Bible’s fathers. After studying Abraham, he calls up a friend and discusses their faith a bit. His studies continues and doubts arise in Thomas. These studies and other events in his life put a lot of strain on his faith. Eventually, he makes a not so favorable sermon that leads him to leave his post the next as he seems to have lost his faith by the end. His son is born soon after and they name him Thomas.
    I thought you handled the arc very nicely and I liked how you showed a subtle change at first, with the sprouting doubt leading up to the eventual renouncement at the end. It made it feel believable. Also, this is just a small thing, but I really like the line Bert says, the “No, the truth has always been there. We just get closer to discovering it.” Don’t really have a reason as to why I liked it, it just stuck out to me.
    The major issue I had with the story is that the paragraphs just seemed a bit long, with some covering over half a page and the longest one being a page. It made the story feel a bit tiring to read and slow. With that, there were some details that were a bit unnecessary, one example being “The swing in the gazebo swung itself to a stop”.

No comments:

Post a Comment