Thursday, March 1, 2012

Response to Taylor's "Losing Sincerity"


The story is about a young man who has been promoted to a supervising position at a hotel. He talks as though his a normal guy just wanting to enjoy a normal college life, with things such as dating and partying, just like his fellow employees. He began dating a fellow employee the night before the story begins. The night covered in the story is the night of a huge event that is being held at the hotel. Most of the conflict in the story come from the huge party that the ballroom at the hotel doesn’t have the room for and the raging guests both in the ballroom and the others lined up outside. The party and the night eventually winds down and the sense of normalcy sets in. The story ends with Brad (the narrator) getting a drink with his girlfriend.
I really liked the voice in this story. It was casual and easy for the most part and they flowed like an actual stream of conscious rather than someone writing something down. This is accentuated at times when the narrator says something like “Oh well, screw it.” I also liked the easy-going dialogue between the characters in the story along with the little bit of background you gave to some of workers that are (I assume) closer to Brad.
As I stated earlier, the voice was very easy going yet it seems to be very proper at the same time, more so later on in the story. The use of contractions is pretty much nonexistent toward the end and it breaks up the flow a bit. Another thing is I had trouble telling who was speaking a couple times in the story, such as the part after his talk with Alyson, when he goes to the bar and speaks to Connor. I was also unaware of how the narrator changed by the end of the story. He just seemed to have gone through a hectic night at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment