Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Response to Adam's "Animals"

The story follows a young man who had stolen a jacket from a souvenir shop in Italy and gifted it his sweet girlfriend upon his return to the States. His girlfriend’s, Jenny’s, innocence and disappointment in his theft makes him want to change and he does for a while. He stops drinking, smoking, and stealing just for her and to try to live up to her standard. This goes awry when his sister is killed in a car accident and he quickly returns to his vices. He’d tried hard to build up good morality but it quickly went down the drain and caused a bit of a rift to grow between him and his girlfriend. Jenny shows up one night and reveals that she has stolen some earrings. The act of stealing, something that had once excited the young man, left him in a state of disgust for a reason he didn’t understand.
    I actually liked the protagonist in the story despite all of his faults. I liked the fact that he at least tried to give them all up for his innocent, pure girlfriend. It’s clear to me that she makes a big impact on his life if he wants to try to hard to give up his vices for her. I also liked how he didn’t embrace her theft at the end of the story, showing us that he’d changed.
    Something I would like to see more of is the protagonist’s family. Maybe show a bit more back story with them to explain why he took up those vices in the first place or to show just how close to them he is. I think it would help in understanding why he went into the downward spiral so hard near the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment