The story follows a person who is working in a cat store called Kitty City. It opens with the protagonist and what I’m guessing is the boss (the Cat Lady) observing how shameful it is that six kittens have been abandoned by their owners at such a young age. The reverie is broken when a couple and their daughter come into the store. They wonder around and look at all the cats, their daughter poking her hands into each cage as she passes. They stop at one cat’s cage (Lily) and almost pick her until they notice she only has one eye. The story ends with a young boy coming to find a cat. He almost chooses to take Lily until she attacks him.
I liked the sort of sarcastic tone that the protagonist speaks in during the story. There are several spots where you can feel the “Yeah right” in the voice. I also liked the attention to detail with the cats. The image of hair everywhere and the constant smell of crap was presented well. I also liked how you compared the kid’s fingers to sausages as she reached into the cats’ cages.
I really didn’t see the change in the story. I figured it was about the person working there, going through the motions of their everyday job. I didn’t really feel the conflict and change in the story at any other time than when Lily attacked the young man. Despite the conflict this caused, I didn’t really see much of a change in the protagonist. They seemed little more than scared by the cat’s outburst. I’d suggest maybe adding a little more to the story because it seems like it ended too abruptly.
No comments:
Post a Comment