Thursday, March 1, 2012

Response to Jessica's "For the Love of the Game"


The story starts off looking like it is about a baseball player by the name of Joel Johnson but this is quickly thrown off by an “I” who is watching the game. This narrator seems to be watching the game, picking up all the little details about the pitcher as the high pressure game slowly draws to a close. As the game is drawing to a close, we find out that it is not a real game but an old VHS recording of a 1985 game. Lindsey (the narrator) is caught watching her father’s game yet again by her mother. We find out the father has not been present in her life as he chose a professional career in baseball rather than staying with his family. Lindsey has plans to go see her father at a game and finally meet him, but upon going to the game, she is unable to see him play or even see him afterward. She then finds a note that says her father was there but didn’t want to meet her without her mother present. The story ends with Lindsey looking forward to her meeting with her father.
I really liked how deeply immersed in the game the writing was at the beginning. It really got across the tension and the gritty nature of baseball (with all the clay and dirty uniforms and the like). I liked that we didn’t find out that this game presented was not a real, current game until about midway through the story. Finally, I liked how the ending didn’t show a complete resolution but rather a road to a resolution.
Something I would like cleared up earlier on would be Lindsey’s age. I pictured her as really young toward the beginning (probably because she calls her mother “Momma”) and I was unsure of her age pretty much until the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment