I assume the story is about an autistic boy named Cyril. At the beginning, he is in someone’s home (a person he apparently knows) uninvited. He is abruptly kicked out soon after the beginning of the story. He wonders down to the Captain D’s restaurant, counting each step along the way, all four hundred steps. He meets his friend Earl there at the restaurant and the two sit together outside while Cyril eats and Earl smokes. Earl tells him to go find the stray cat that stays around the restaurant, Jimmy-cat. Cyril finds the cat behind the dumpster with strange things crawling around on its stomach. He becomes scared and calls for Earl as he counts to himself. We find out from Earl that Jimmy-cat has had kittens, making it more of a “Jasmine-cat.”
I think you chose a very creative stand point to tell the story from. It’s very similar to The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime (the way the main character continually counts when he’s nervous or to keep track of things made me think about it) which tells its story in the same way. It made for a very unique way to tell the story and gave an interesting view point.
To tell the truth, while I thought the way you told the story was very interesting, I was unsure of the change that occurred within the story. The biggest change seems to occur to the cat but I don’t really see how the main character changed at the end, though this may just be because he still called the cat by a boy name and didn’t really seem to acknowledge what Earl said about it’s gender, but I think the biggest change would occur when the cat has its kittens.
No comments:
Post a Comment