Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Response to Kody's "Over the Counter"
The story is about a father of three kids (two boys and a girl) who is having trouble making ends meet. He is met with a letter of foreclosure and begins to worry about the future of his children and himself. This is the driving force of the whole story but not really the big conflict. The big conflict comes when he is given the opportunity to sale drugs from the pharmacy he works at on the street. He is torn between going against his morals so he can pay for his home or to uphold them and (most likely) be evicted from his home along with his children. A difficult decision but in the end he decides that his family is more important and steals the drugs to sell.
I really liked how you got the weight of the situation across, especially in the beginning. I really liked the line “each letter hit my eye like a typewriter’s hammer.” It gave the reader a sense of just how desperate the situation was for the protagonist. I also liked how you went through how everyone sees something like a foreclosure happen on TV but no one expects it to happen to them. It made the story a bit more relatable. I did also like how the protagonist looked back at how he’d always been on the good side of the law as he considered stealing the medication.
I didn’t really like how you compressed the conversation with Tim in the bar. It seems like it is such an important scene yet it feels like nothing more than summary in its current form. That section could probably be expanded to at least a short conversation while the call in the car could probably be condensed in same way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment